Kentuckiana Genealogy: Biographies: Anderson, Joseph M.
|By LYNN SNYDER (Okiemo) (188.8.131.52) on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:48 am:|
Joseph ANDERSON and Elizabeth DODDS are my 3rd Great Grandparents. Their daughter Lucy Ellen ANDERSON and William A. KINGSLEY are my 2nd Great Grandparents [See William KINGSLEY's BIO]. My ancestors settled in the Laconia, Boone Twp, Harrison Co., IN. Some of my surnames are ANDERSON, BRANDENBURG, CROSIER, DODD & DODDS, DOUGLAS, KINGSLEY AND RIDLEY. The below information was put together from various sources.
Joseph ANDERSON was born 28 June 1814 in KY. He was the son of John ANDERSON and Rachel JACK. He was appointed Postmaster at Laconia, Harrison Co., IN on 19 Sept 1855 following the death of his son, John Wesley ANDERSON, who was at the time of his death serving as Postmaster. In turn, Joseph served seven and one-half years as Postmaster until his death on 11 Feb 1873. He is buried with his second wife, Elizabeth DODDS in the Beswick Cemetery on the Radmaker Farm, one-half mile east of Laconia, Harrison Co., IN. The cemetery has been destroyed and there are no longer any signs that one ever existed. There is a Memorial marker for them in the "DODDS" section of the Kingís Cemetery/Burying Ground located south of Laconia, Harrison Co., IN. It is located next to Rebecca and Anthony DODDS headstones, who are Elizabethís parents.
On 28 October 1835, in Nelson Co., KY Joseph married BELINDA McDANIEL, daughter of Joseph McDANIEL and Mary TEMPLE. Belinda was born on 3 Aug 1819 in Nelson Co., KY and died about 1843.
Joseph and Belinda ANDERSON had the following known children:
1. John Wesley ANDERSON was born 18 Jul 1836 and died 13 Aug 1865. in Harrison Co., IN. He is buried in the Beswick Cemetery, Laconia, Harrison Co., IN. Two of his children, Belinda A. and Austin K. ANDERSON, are also buried there. He married Louisa A. KISTLER.
2. Mary J. ANDERSON was born 12 December 1837 and died 18 Jan 1862. She is buried in Beswick Cemetery, Laconia, Harrison Co., IN. It is believed she never married.
3. Rachel S. ANDERSON was born 2 May 1839 and died 8 Aug 1865. She is buried in the Beswick Cemetery, Laconia, Harrison Co., IN. She married James Madison NEELY on 8 Nov 1859 in Harrison Co., IN. He was born 28 Oct 1836 in TN and died 13 Jul 1863. He is also buried in Beswick Cemetery.
4. Laura Martha ANDERSON was born 4 Apr 1841 in Harrison, Co., IN. On 19 Apr 1860 she married AUSTIN KISTLER, son of Jacob and Mary E. KISTLER. He was born 21 May 1839 in Marion, OH. He died @ 1922 in Harrison Co., IN.
5. Elizabeth ANDERSON, was born 5 Apr 1843 in Harrison Co., IN and died 28 Nov 1905, in Kansas City, Jackson Co., MO. On 21 Oct 1866 she married Nathan ZIMMERMAN, son of John and Eveline ZIMMERMAN. He was born 11 Oct 1841 in Harrison Co., IN and died 16 Jun 1918 in Overland Park, Johnson Co., KS.
Joseph married for the second time on 25 Nov 1844 to Elizabeth DODDS, the daughter of Adam Douglas DODDS and his wife, Rebecca FRENCH. She was born 21 Oct 1822 and died 21 Dec 1876.
Joseph and Elizabeth ANDERSON had the following known children:
1. Rebecca ANDERSON was born 20 Jul 1845 in Harrison Co., IN and died Aug 1919 in Belleville, St Clair Co., IL. She is buried in Walnut Hill Cemetery. On 27 Sept 1865 in Laconia, Harrison Co., IN she married William Thomas MARSH, the son of Col William MARSH and Sarah ARMSTRONG of Laconia, IN. William was born in 1838 in Harrison Co., IN and died 1899 in Leavenworth, IN. He is buried in the Marsh Lot of Cedar Hill Cemetery at Leavenworth., IN.
2. Lucy Ellen ANDERSON was born 20 Mar 1848 in Harrison Co., IN and died 18 Jan 1890. She married CPL WILLIAM ANTHONY KINGSLEY, Co. K, 59th Indiana Vol., Civil War. William was the son of Simeon KINGSLEY and Elizabeth BRANDENBURG. He was born 12 Nov 1844 and died 18 Nov 1905. Both are buried in Kings Cemetery/Burying Ground, south of Laconia, Harrison County, IN.
3. Adam Dodd ANDERSON was born 29 Oct 1849 and died 1913. He married first to Elizabeth WARREN, daughter of William L. WARREN. He married second to Mary BAUMAN [1858-1925] both Adam and Mary BAUMAN ANDERSON are buried at St. Michaelís Catholic Church, Dogwood, Harrison County, IN. Adam D. ANDERSON was appointed Postmaster, 4 Apr 1904 at Laconia and served until 11 Nov 1907 when his son, Frank C. ANDERSON was appointed.
4. Margaret ANDERSON was born 10 Mar 1851 and died March 11, 1851.
5. Belinda Ann ANDERSON was born 22 Feb 1852 in Harrison Co., IN and died 10 Feb 1926 at her home in Laconia, Harrison Co., IN. On 31 Mar 1874 she married John Thomas ASHTON who had come to Laconia from Windsor, England to make his home with his aunt, Mrs. Thomas [Ann] PATTINSON. John Thomas ASHTON was the son of John ASHTON and his wife, Mary Ann LEONARD. He was born August 29, 1849 in Portsmouth, England; and died 3 Aug 1912 in his home in Laconia, Harrison Co., IN.
|By Karen M. (184.108.40.206) on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:11 pm:|
I am related to the William C. Marsh and Sarah Armstrong you mentioned. Am eager to know what info you might have on this couple.
|By Linda B (220.127.116.11) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:47 pm:|
Would your Sarah Armstrong be related to Abel and Polly Armstrong? If so I would sure love to hear from you!!
|By Darlene Bailey (18.104.22.168) on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 04:29 pm:|
I was wondering if you knew if Abel was a brother to William Armstrong that married L.Lyon?
|By Board Administration (Admin) (22.214.171.124) on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 03:42 pm:|